18. November 2014 by swissfitchick
Hi there, Fit Swiss Chick readers!
My name is Khushboo and I blog over at my not-so-originally-named blog: Khushboo’s Blog. I am also a qualified Nutrition Specialist & founder of the venture K Weigh, which aims to help clients achieve a better quality of life through customized nutrition. Rather than prescribe a ‘One-size-fits-all’ plan, we account for individual lifestyles, diet history, goals, health, and food preferences. Although we’re based in Mumbai, we work with clients across the globe, so please get in touch if you want to learn more on firstname.lastname@example.org
Now that we’ve gotten intros out of the way, let’s get to the good stuff i.e. FOOD! Firstly a huge thanks to Lucie for inviting me to post on her blog while she’s basking away on holiday (not jealous at all ;))! I’ve been a long-time reader of her blog, primarily because her personality shines through each one of her post…that and her kick-ass attitude towards life & drool-worthy food. Our mutual love for chocolate (ahem Lindt) & Prosecco alone have seemed to help us form a bond despite never meeting. (Editor’s note: Prosecco&Chocolate make friendships. It’s a fact.) Like Lucie, I try to healthify recipes when possible, but I draw the line when taste is compromised. I’m all for eating vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, etc etc food so long as it’s not taste-free. Some recipe creations are a hit, whereas others are a miss.
One “hit” that I’ve made multiple times in the past is my Citrus Oat Bran Loaf:
I shared this post in the earlier days of my blog, but it doesn’t get nearly enough attention. Despite containing a mere 2 tablespoons of oil & 1/3 cup of brown sugar, the texture remains perfectly moist whereas the sweetness is just right.
I love it with my afternoon coffee but in honor of Lucie’s dislike towards the good stuff coffee, we’ll roll with tea today (Editor’s note: Thanks Khushboo! I know I am banned in the blogger community for my coffee hate :-)) . And because it’s made from oat bran, it’s absolutely okay to go back for seconds, right? Say yes as it’s almost impossible to stop after just one slice:
Citrus Oat Bran Loaf (serves 8 – 10)
- 1 cup wholewheat flour (130g)
- 1 cup oat bran (150g)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (85g)
- 1 ½ tablespoons honey (35 ml)
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/3 cup milk (both dairy & non-dairy milks are fine)
- 1/3 cup crushed walnuts (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
1) Preheat the oven to 180°C & grease a loaf tin.
2) In a large bowl, combine the flour, oat bran, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon & orange zest
3) In a separate bowl, whisk together the beaten egg, milk, oil, honey & vanilla essence
4) Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and gently stir together until well combined. Stir in the walnuts.
5) Pour the batter into the loaf tin & bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
6) Remove from oven and allow to cool. Slice & serve.
Hope you guys enjoy this & thanks again to Lucie for having me! If you’re interested in more healthy recipes, feel free to check out My Blog (http://kthadani.com). I’d love to connect with you. You can also find me on social media by clicking the links below:
What’s your favorite kind of baked good?